NEW YORK CITY PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP
A 5-DAY IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCE
MONDAY JUNE 5 - FRIDAY JUNE 9, 2017
This workshop is for those with a true passion for photography and the desire to expand their sense of empathy thru the creative process. Intensive group sessions will be highly interactive with each day led by one of the professional photographers listed below. We will see and hear about their life’s work, engage in group exercises, and participate in daily critiques of both images brought from home and new pictures we create of the dynamic people and neighborhoods of Manhattan.
This is a collaborative endeavor - come prepared to ask questions, contribute to the group discussions, and develop a new understanding of your unique approach to photography.
Doug Menuez is an award-winning photographer and photojournalist who has shot assignments for The Washington Post, Time, Newsweek, LIFE and more as well as ad campaigns for the world’s largest global firms. His work includes Fearless Genius a book documenting his unprecedented access to Steve Jobs and other technology pioneers in Silicon Valley’s golden age.
Seth Resnick is a contemporary photographer with a prolific career spanning education,fine art, editorial, stock and commercial work. Seth was chosen by Photo District News as one of the 30 most influential photographers of the decade. He is the co-founder of both D-65, an organization teaching digital workflow and Digital Photo Destinations, a digital photography workshop travelling to exotic locales around the globe including Antarctica, Iceland, Namibia and more.
Born in Baltimore, Maryland, Susan received her BA from Sarah Lawrence College and her MA in visual education from Harvard University. Her first major photographic essay that garnered national attention focused on the lives of women doing striptease at New England country fairs in the 1970’s. Meiselas joined Magnum Photos in 1976 and has worked as a freelance photographer since then. She is best known for her coverage of the insurrection in Nicaragua and her documentation of human rights issues in Latin America. (*Tentatively scheduled, to be confirmed closer to date)
Joseph is known in the photographic community for his fashion and beauty work. He is a generous and thoughtful artist with an impeccable eye for lighting, technique, and aesthetic design. Cartright enjoys a position as an adjunct professor at Parsons School of Design and traveled nationally with his ASMP lecture series. His impressive client list includes ELLE, New York Times, L’Oreal, Halston, & Victoria’s Secret.
In 2007 Jamie Smith produced his first of over 50 week-long photography workshops for Jay Maisel in New York City. In 2015 he drew from that experience to develop his own independent workshop series. Jamie's teaching style creates a challenging and collaborative group environment. Each session has it’s own unique and diverse demographic where everyone is encouraged to fail, explore, be curious, participate, create, give and receive honest criticism. Engaged participants typically discover something new about themselves, their world, the kind of pictures they make, how their photography resonates with an audience and why certain images articulate their identity and artistic vision.
A Note About Instructors/Guest Speakers:
Due to the nature of their profession it is possible that we would need to substitute one of our confirmed instructors with someone else if there is a scheduling conflict. If this happens we will notify you in advance and replace that photographer.
Below is a list of past speakers who have participated to give you an idea of the caliber of instructor that may be substituted:
- Intensive workshop sessions in the studio will be highly interactive, with each day led by one of our professional photographer instructors. We will see their work and some will also lead group critiques of both the images you bring from home and what you shoot during the week.
- On a technical level, participants are expected to be comfortable using their own digital camera, laptop, and editing software.
- The workshop is limited to 10 participants, and enrollment is on a first come, first serve basis.
- Classes take place at Go-Studios: 318 West 39th St. (Between 8th & 9th Ave) - Private Penthouse Studio gostudios.nyc
- The workshop day will begin at 9am and will last through dinner (except one evening, usually Thursday night, which is a free evening).
- Where to stay? There are (5) hotels on this block alone. The studio is a short walk to Port Authority, Times Square, and Penn Station. Those who live in NYC or prefer to stay and explore any other neighborhoods have plenty of transportation options.
- Except for Thursday night, we will unwind, relax, talk shop and end each day dining at a top rated New York City restaurant.
- On Thursday evening you will be at your leisure to explore New York City on your own – take your camera to a new neighborhood, shop, meet up with your spouse, try a new restaurant or take in a show.
- Healthy and delicious breakfast items will be available in the studio in the morning. Lunches will be hosted. Typically we eat at venues that are close by or order in to save time.
Inclusions: (5) days of instruction, all breakfasts and lunches, and (4) group dinners.
Participants are responsible for booking their own airfare and hotel. One evening (typically Thursday) will also be free for you to dine and explore New York on your own.
Registration: Complete the Registration Form below to sign up.
NYC June 5 - 9, 2017 Registration Form
Registration forms are reviewed in the order they are received. Spaces are reserved on a first come first serve basis upon receipt of the full amount due. Please expect an enrollment confirmation email after we've processed both your form and payment.
Checks should be made out to Jamie Smith Photography and mailed to:
Jamie Smith Photography (NYC Workshop)
312 Wyoming Ave, First Floor
Wyoming, Pa 18644
Please email a request with the subject "Transfer Instruction Request" if you prefer to pay via wire or bank transfer. Jamie@JamieSmith.com
If you need to cancel, your fee will be refunded if we can fill your space with a replacement from the wait list. Travel insurance is also a good idea and always recommended.
We need a minimum of (8) confirmed participants in order hold the workshop so please wait to hear from us before booking your air and hotel or making any other non-refundable travel arrangements.