JAMIE SMITH PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP
A 5-DAY IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCE
N E W Y O R K C I T Y
MONDAY june 4 - friday june 8, 2018
Jamie’s workshop is for those who wish to identify, redefine, or expand their personal photographic vision. It is about being challenged and encouraged to grow in a collaborative atmosphere while discovering what YOUR photographs convey to others. Guest speakers discuss their life’s work and provide insightful evaluations of student images. Respectful discussions and highly interactive creative exercises stimulate transformation as participants receive direction for improvement and ultimately practice helpful strategies to become more comfortable articulating WHY their photographs have purpose and meaning.
All of that, along with great photographic opportunities, meals and camaraderie with like-minded, imaginative people in one of world’s greatest creative playgrounds – the dynamic neighborhoods of Manhattan.
This is very much a collaborative endeavor – come prepared to participate, ask questions, contribute ideas, and have an open mind about learning something new about your pictures and yourself.
Doug Menuez is an award-winning photographer and photojournalist who has shot assignments for The Washington Post, Time, Newsweek, LIFE and more as well as ad campaigns for the world’s largest global firms. His work includes Fearless Genius a book documenting his unprecedented access to Steve Jobs and other technology pioneers in Silicon Valley’s golden age.
Seth Resnick is a contemporary photographer with a prolific career spanning education,fine art, editorial, stock and commercial work. Seth was chosen by Photo District News as one of the 30 most influential photographers of the decade. He is the co-founder of both D-65, an organization teaching digital workflow and Digital Photo Destinations, a digital photography workshop travelling to exotic locales around the globe including Antarctica, Iceland, Namibia and more.
Born in the Bronx, New York, Barbara Bordnick is an internationally renowned portrait and fashion photographer who began her career in Copenhagen and Paris before returning to open a studio in New York in 1969 where her photography in HARPER’S BAZAAR began drawing acclaim. Her work has been featured in The New York Times Magazine, Life, Newsweek, Forbes, Fortune, Vogue, Vanity Fair, and Communication Arts. In addition to publishing several books of her flower photography, as one of Canon’s exclusive Explorers of Light, Bordnick is a much-sought-after lecturer who teaches at Parsons New School for Design.
Joseph is known in the photographic community for his fashion and beauty work. He is a generous and thoughtful artist with an impeccable eye for lighting, technique, and aesthetic design. Cartright enjoys a position as an adjunct professor at Parsons School of Design and traveled nationally with his ASMP lecture series. His impressive client list includes ELLE, New York Times, L’Oreal, Halston, & Victoria’s Secret.
In 2007 Jamie Smith produced his first of over 50 week-long photography workshops for Jay Maisel in New York City. In 2015 he drew from that experience to develop his own independent workshop series. Jamie's teaching style creates a challenging and collaborative group environment. Each session has it’s own unique and diverse demographic where everyone is encouraged to fail, explore, be curious, participate, create, give and receive honest criticism. Engaged participants typically discover something new about themselves, their world, the kind of pictures they make, how their photography resonates with an audience and why certain images articulate their identity and artistic vision.
A Note About Instructors/Guest Speakers:
Due to the nature of their profession it is possible that we would need to substitute one of our confirmed instructors with someone else if there is a scheduling conflict. If this happens we will notify you in advance and replace that photographer.
Below is a list of past speakers who have participated to give you an idea of the caliber of instructor that may be substituted:
- Intensive workshop sessions in the studio are highly interactive, with each day led by one of our professional photographer instructors. Speakers show their work and lead group critiques of the student images brought from home or shot during the week.
- On a technical level, participants are expected to be comfortable using their own digital camera, laptop, and editing software.
- The workshop is limited to 10 participants, and enrollment is on a first come, first serve basis.
- Classes take place at Go-Studios: 318 West 39th St. (Between 8th & 9th Ave) - Private Penthouse Studio gostudios.nyc
- The workshop day begins at 9am and lasts through dinner (except one evening, usually Thursday night, which is a free evening).
- Where to stay? There are (5) hotels on this block alone. The studio is a short walk to Port Authority, Times Square, and Penn Station. Those who live in NYC or prefer to stay and explore any other neighborhoods have plenty of transportation options.
- Except for Thursday night, we will unwind, relax, talk shop and end each day dining at a top rated New York City restaurant.
- On Thursday evening you will be at your leisure to explore New York City on your own – take your camera to a new neighborhood, shop, meet up with your spouse, try a new restaurant or take in a show.
- Healthy and delicious breakfast items will be available in the studio in the morning. Lunches will be hosted. Typically we eat at venues that are close by or order in to save time.
($4,750 for those who preregister before December 31, 2017)
Inclusions: (5) days of instruction, all breakfasts and lunches, and (4) group dinners.
Participants are responsible for booking their own airfare and hotel. One evening (typically Thursday) will also be free for you to dine and explore New York on your own.
Registration: Complete the Registration Form below to sign up.
NYC June 4 - 8, 2018 Registration Form
Registration forms are reviewed in the order they are received. Spaces are reserved on a first come first serve basis upon receipt of the full amount due. Please expect an enrollment confirmation email after we've processed both your form and payment.
Checks should be made out to Jamie Smith Photography and mailed to:
Jamie Smith Photography (NYC Workshop)
312 Wyoming Ave, First Floor
Wyoming, Pa 18644
Please email a request with the subject "Transfer Instruction Request" if you prefer to pay via wire or bank transfer. Jamie@JamieSmith.com
If you need to cancel, your fee will be refunded if we can fill your space with a replacement from the wait list. Travel insurance is also a good idea and always recommended.
We need a minimum of (8) confirmed participants in order hold the workshop so please wait to hear from us before booking your air and hotel or making any other non-refundable travel arrangements. Full tuition refund if the workshop does not operate.